Bernd Helmle mailings
Mon Dec 11 03:08:22 PST 2006
Currently we are installing slon_tools.conf-sample in sysconfdir, which is
defaulting to
/usr/local/etc when using configure without any special flags. However,
wouldn't it more
consistent to use the sharedir from pg_config instead, unless someone
specifies
an alternate sysconfdir (via --sysconfdir, --with-perlsharedir or others)?
This strokes
me more than one time while experimenting with different
slony-installations as listed below:

/bin/sh
/home/bernd/pgsql-dev/pgsql-cvs/CURRENT/slony1-engine/config/install-sh -c
-m 644   slon_tools.conf-sample /usr/local/etc
cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/etc/#inst.20467#': Permission
denied

Everything is taken from pg_config, except sysconfdir....which is
surprising since slony
chooses to install everything else into the postgresql location pg resides
and ignores --bindir
for its binaries for example. I think choosing everything from pg_config
doesn't make things
easier for package maintainers as well, since they want to choose
independent locations
for postgres and slony packages. So what's the consens on this issue from
slony-hackers?
Should we fix this to make the altperls at least consistent with the rest
of the slony package or
are there plans to move everything off from pg_config and use a more common
way?

--
  Thanks

                    Bernd