Ian Burrell ianburrell
Thu Apr 20 10:22:53 PDT 2006
On 4/19/06, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info> wrote:

> All I can recommend for now is to make sure that there's a watchdog running.
>
> For 1.2, I've got what I think is a "better mousetrap" for
> watchdogging.  And nothing about it is really 1.2-specific; I'm running
> it now...
>
> You basically write slon .conf files into a well-defined directory
> structure, and those .conf files have the respective slons write .pid
> files nearby.
>
> A "watchdog" basically goes in every so often and checks to see if
> there's a slon running for each of the .conf/.pid combination,
> restarting whatever falls over.  It's a *real* simple shell script.

We are using slon_watchdog and slon_start.  The problem with the
watchdog failing was caused by slon_watchdog writing output to stdout.
 But slon_start left stdout pointing to the original terminal which
had long exited.

slon_start should probably be changed to redirect the stdout, stdin,
and stderr of the slon_watchdog it starts.

 - Ian