Andrew Sullivan ajs
Sun Apr 16 08:16:43 PDT 2006
On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 06:38:58PM -0700, Nagita Karunaratne wrote:
> On a regular basis I wish to download this data onto a local copy of
> the database (running on a local PC) and delete the sensitive parts of
> the records on the hosted database. The hosted DB will still contain
> certain non-sensitive data.
>
> Is there a standard way to do this?
>
> Will the slony project be of any help?

The way I would do this is to use the log shipping features of Slony,
and add a trigger on the target machine (where you want the sensitive
data suppressed) that obfuscated the data in the target database --
set it to NULL, perhaps, or (better) altered it to indicate it was
suppressed.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.  What do you do sir?
		--attr. John Maynard Keynes