Andrew Sullivan ajs
Mon Apr 10 04:13:30 PDT 2006
On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 10:40:09AM +0200, Emmanuel Lacour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to setup a cluster with one master and some slaves, with
> asynchronous replication, so I think about slony1 :)
>
> I've read some doc, but I do not clearly understand how slony is able to
> restart after a downtime. If I stop a slave machine for some hours and
> then boot it, will slony be able to sync the modifications done on the
> master without doing a full sync? Should I use the log shiping feature?

A replica should be able to pick up the intervening changes, assuming
you have enough speed and bandwidth to catch up.  No, you don't need
a complete re-sync or anything.  Just re-start the daemon that feeds
that replica.

There is not automatic switchover, BTW, so if you want to have one of
your replicas take over the read-write functions, you need to switch
over manually.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Information security isn't a technological problem.  It's an economics
problem.
		--Bruce Schneier