Philip Yarra philip
Mon Oct 24 08:42:16 PDT 2005
Hi all, I've been looking to install and test Slony 1.1.2 from RPMs on the
RedHat ES3.0 machines here. I see there are RPMs for SuSE and Fedora Core 4
at http://developer.postgresql.org/~devrim/slony/1.1.2/ but none for RH
ES3.0, so I figured I'd grab the SRPMs and build them myself.

There are only SRPMs for SuSE and Fedora Core 4, so I grabbed the FC4 one
(assumed that was closest to RedHat ES.0 of the two).

It's taken a bit of doing, as the build (using FC4 spec file) doesn't look
in /usr/kerberos/include for krb5.h:

make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/philip/rpm/BUILD/postgresql-slony1-engine-REL_1_1_2/src/slonik'
gcc -O2 -g -pipe -march=i586 -I/usr/include/et -I../.. -I/usr/include/
-I/usr/include/pgsql/server/ -DPGSHARE="\"/usr/share/pgsql/\""
-DSED="\"sed\"" -I/usr/include/ -I/usr/include/pgsql/server/ -I/usr/include/
-I/usr/include/pgsql/server/ -I/usr/include/ -I/usr/include/pgsql/server/
-I/usr/include/et -c -o slonik.o slonik.c
In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
                 from /usr/include/libpq-fe.h:33,
                 from slonik.c:26:
/usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:72:18: krb5.h: No such file or directory

The RedHat spec file included in the 1.1.2 tarball doesn't seem to have the
fixes mentioned here:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/pipermail/slony1-general/2005-October/003105.html
and in any case, that doesn't look in /usr/kerberos/include either.

I ended up hacking in '-I/usr/kerberos/include' for CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS (as
that is how com_err.h gets pulled in) and the build succeeds. But is that the
correct procedure? Or is there some --define invocation I should be using
instead?

I'm using pgsql 8.0.4 from RPMs:
$ rpm -qa | grep postgresql
postgresql-devel-8.0.4-2PGDG
postgresql-8.0.4-2PGDG
postgresql-server-8.0.4-2PGDG
postgresql-jdbc-8.0.4-2PGDG
postgresql-libs-8.0.4-2PGDG

Regards, Philip.

PS: I also ended up having to build without docs, as they failed in colourful
ways, which I will detail seperately if people think it's worthwhile