David Fetter david
Wed Oct 5 18:50:14 PDT 2005
On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 11:19:27AM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 07:39:44PM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> > 1.  Is the Afilias QA team on this list?  If not, which lists are
> > they on?  We all need to get in better touch here.
>
> Not as far as I know; but to be more pointed, Afilias _does not_ do
> the QA of these releases before they happen.  The Afilias QA folks
> do testing of proposed releases to production systems for Afilias
> purposes, but they don't test this software before it's released.
> (This state of affairs is admittedly partly because, when I was
> supervising Chris[1], I could alter his job description to include
> maintenance of Slony-I; but it's been well over a year since I had
> any supervisory duties of the QA folks, so I couldn't assign them
> the work.  But in truth, the QA folks at Afilias are already
> overcommitted.)  Slony-I was always intended to be a community
> project: Afilias seeded it, but it's not an Afilias project released
> to the community, and was never intended to be.

Thanks for clarifying that.

> > 2.  What exactly is the release process, and where is a broad,
> > obvious place to post it?
>
> It sounds like one needs to be made.  Volunteers?

Looks like I proposed one, and who proposes, volunteers.  I'll whip
something together this weekend if nobody else wants to.

> > 3.  What regression tests are running, and how do we know they've
> > passed on all platforms?  I know this is a tough thing even just
> > in a combinatorial sense, but it's one we have to do.
>
> My suspicion is that this will fall out of (2).

That's my suspicion, too :)

> In particular, I don't think that there are currently assurances
> that people have run the tests prior to release.  While on the one
> hand, that seems like a pretty bad thing, on the other hand, it's
> more or less how PostgreSQL itself was released for ages.  That
> said. . .
>
> > 4.  The subject of a "build farm" has come up several times in
> > different venues.  Can we get this thing spec'ed and put together
> > in time for 1.2?  What design pieces are still missing?
>
> . . .this'd no doubt help.  But I don't know the answer to your
> questions.

Heh.  Looks like a pretty good thing to me :)  Would we be starting
with the buildfarm stuff, some other framework, or building one from
scratch?

> [1] For those who are curious, I've been assigned to a new
> department at Afilias, so I'm not part of the database operations
> group there any more.

Congratulations :)

Cheers,
David Fetter david at fetter.org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!