Tim Goodaire tgoodair
Tue Nov 22 18:38:48 PST 2005
Hello Melvin,

You still haven't provided the error messages that you receive when you run
your script, but I'll do my best to point out the problems that I see.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 11:18:11AM -0700, Melvin Davidson wrote:

> slonik <<_EOF_
>
> #--
> # define the namespace the replication system uses in our example it is
> # slony_example
> #--
> CLUSTER NAME = $REPCLUSTER;
>
> #--
> # admin conninfo's are used by slonik to connect to the nodes one for each
> # node on each side of the cluster, the syntax is that of PQconnectdb in
> # the C-API
> # --
> node 1 admin conninfo = 'dbname=$MASTERDBNAME host=$MASTERHOST port=$PGPORT user=$REPLICATIONUSER';
> node 2 admin conninfo = 'dbname=$MASTERDBNAME host=$SLAVE1HOST port=$PGPORT user=$REPLICATIONUSER';
> node 3 admin conninfo = 'dbname=$MASTERDBNAME host=$SLAVE2HOST port=$PGPORT user=$REPLICATIONUSER';
>
> # Initialize new cluster
> # init the first node.  Its id MUST be 1.  This creates the schema
> # _$CLUSTERNAME containing all replication system specific database
> # objects.
>
> init cluster ( id=1, comment = 'Replication Master Node');
>
> # Make new set for tables
> CREATE SET (ID=1, ORIGIN=1, COMMENT = 'Rep tables');
>
> # Add the tables to the set
> SET ADD TABLE (SET ID=1, ORIGIN=1, ID=101, FULLY QUALIFIED NAME = 'rep_test.test_table', comment='test table');
>
> #--
> # Create the second node (the slave) tell the 2 nodes how to connect to
> # each other and how they should listen for events.
> #--
>
> store node (id=2, comment = 'Rep Slave1 node');
> store node (id=3, comment = 'Rep Slave2 node');
>
> store path (server = 1, client = 2, conninfo='dbname=$MASTERDBNAME host=$MASTERHOST port=$PGPORT user=$REPLICATIONUSER ');
> store path (server = 2, client = 1, conninfo='dbname=$MASTERDBNAME host=$SLAVE1HOST port=$PGPORT user=$REPLICATIONUSER ');
> store path (server = 3, client = 2, conninfo='dbname=$MASTERDBNAME host=$SLAVE1HOST port=$PGPORT user=$REPLICATIONUSER ');

You're missing some paths here.  You still need a path between 3 and 1, 1 and
3, and 2 and 3. Also, $SLAVE2HOST should be in your third entry, not
$SLAVE1HOST.

> store listen (origin=1, provider = 1, receiver =2);
> store listen (origin=2, provider = 2, receiver =1);
> store listen (origin=3, provider = 3, receiver =2);
> store listen (origin=2, provider = 2, receiver =3);

You're also missing some listen entries. You still need 1 to 3 and 3 to 1.

You may want to check out the admin guide for more information about what all
of these entries mean:
http://developer.postgresql.org/~wieck/slony1/download/slony1-1.1.2-html.tar.bz2

Tim

Tim Goodaire    416-673-4126    tgoodair at ca.afilias.info