Jan Wieck JanWieck
Thu May 26 20:46:01 PDT 2005
On 5/23/2005 9:34 PM, Thomas F. O'Connell wrote:

> So I didn't see any information about this in the new docs or the
> FAQ, but I'm curious: can Slony account for a change in character set
> in the underlying databases on given nodes?
>
> For instance, I have a 7.4.x instance of postgres in SQL_ASCII. Could
> I subscribe to it with a node that has a default character set of
> UNICODE?

I'm not a unicode expert, but I would think as long as the encoding on
the subscriber is a true superset of the masters encoding with the
additional property that something unique on the master is also unique
in the subscribers encoding, it should work.

> Even crazier: could I simultaneously upgrade to an 8.0.x instance in
> UNICODE?
>
> Based on my knowledge of Slony, I don't see why not...

Once the encoding question is positively answered, this one is a free lunch.

Jan