Sven Willenberger sven
Tue May 24 13:35:44 PDT 2005
On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 07:09 -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 05:06:18PM -0400, Sven Willenberger wrote:
> >
> > I guess my question is, when only one of the fields of the primary key
> > is used as a condition for a delete statement, is there a way to have
> > slony issue just that simple command rather than expand the statement to
> > include all the columns of the primary key?
>
> No.  What you seem to want is SQL capture-and-ship.  pgpool does
> something like that.  The only thing you're paying extra for is the
> network, note: your single-condition DELETE really is touching every
> row, and all of those statements will go to the replica at once,
> because they're part of a single write set (having all occurred in
> the same transaction).

I realize now looking at the Slony trigger that indeed, the only way
this could work currently is row by row (since the trigger is in fact,
"for each row"). I guess I need to look at why deleting 300k rows took
so long (like an hour) on a system consisting of dual opterons and 8GB
of RAM ...

Thanks for the feedback.

Sven