Andrew Sullivan ajs
Mon May 16 11:41:40 PDT 2005
On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 01:42:16PM +0400, Eugene Kuzin wrote:

>  ML> I have a slony replication on one database and I want to know if I
>  ML> need to do anything after I add a column in one table of the set.
>  ML> How do I tell the slave node about the new column?
>
>     Just alter that table on each node similarly.

You should only do DDL through Slonik EXECUTE SCRIPT.  Failing to do
so may have surprising consequences later.  It is _not_ safe merely
to do the table alteration on each node separately.  If you do, you
must run the relevant altertablerestore/altertableforreplication
functions.  This is critical, because Slony knows about the shape of
the table; if you change its shape, you have to tell Slony, or you
risk your data.

See the admin guide for more on this.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Information security isn't a technological problem.  It's an economics
problem.
		--Bruce Schneier