Jan Wieck JanWieck
Fri Mar 4 21:56:05 PST 2005
On 3/4/2005 3:35 PM, Alan Hodgson wrote:

> Is there a way to backup and restore a cluster member without having
> to redo the replication setup?  I have 5 nodes to upgrade to 8.0.1.
> The slave nodes only replicate a subset of the tables on the master.
> Re-replicating out the slave nodes and setting up the paths and listeners,
> especially one at a time, is a major pain.
>
> I know enough to kill the slons, make the db unavailable to other processes,
> and back it up and restore it without anything else touching it.  I know
> to update the table OID's in sl_table.  However, I seem to be missing where
> it sticks the old trigger info.  Is this even possible?

<BLINK> WARNING WARNING WARNING </BLINK>

I have not tested any of the below! It is an idea that you have to prove
right or wrong!

END WARNING

After "disconnecting" a subscriber, you want to call the
alter_table_restore procedure for all replicated tables. That will
remove the slony trigger and restore the original application triggers
and rewrite rules.

Then you do the upgrade via dump+restore

Next you call the alter_table_for_replication procedure for all those
tables to get back into subscriber status.

Last you invoke a slonik script that reloads the db version specific
parts of the slony stored procedures.

The subscriber should now be ready to start its slon and catch up.

Good luck and let us know if it works that way.

Jan