Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Mon Dec 12 20:28:13 PST 2005
Kiana K wrote:

>Hi,
>I got this error message during setting up the Slony.
>Does anybody know where should I setup dbname, host
>and user?
>I'm new to postgres and slony.
>PST ERROR  slon_connectdb: PQconnectdb("dbname= host=
>user=") failed - FATAL:  no PostgreSQL user name
>specified in startup packet

There are several places where Slony-I uses DSNs; that includes:

1.  For each slon to communicate with the node that it manages, either
on the command line or in the slon configuration file

2.  In each slonik script, in the preamble of "admin conninfo" statements

3.  For each slon to communicate with nodes it *doesn't* manage, there
need to be DSNs in the table "sl_path" which are configured via the
Slonik "STORE PATH" command

I think we can rule out #2 being inconsistent with the above error message.

It looks as though you have set up requests where you thought you set up
dbname/host/user where they weren't actually set.  Is it possible that
your command line was something like:

  slon slony_example "dbname=$pgbenchslave user=$pgbench host=$myhostname"

where the environment variables pgbenchslave/pgbench/myhostname weren't
actually set???