Darcy Buskermolen darcy
Thu Dec 8 16:46:27 PST 2005
On Thursday 08 December 2005 07:49, Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 12/8/2005 7:18 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 12:18:17AM +0100, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> >> Whatever default is, manual override possibility is what I suggested. Do
> >> you agree it should be configurable on the node level, not as slon cmd
> >> line option?
> >
> > Seems like it'd have to be -- see Gavin's note in this thread.
>
> I am missing all the time what exactly the point is to have replicated
> databases installed with different character encodings. Why are we
> solving problems that do not exist unless someone deliberately screws up
> the environment?
>
> Jan

I think the point was to allow for a methood of "upgrading" allowing someone
to upgrade from one encoding to another (but I may be off base here).  My
thought on this brings us back to a point already stated and that is, by
allowing for this we end up with DB's that are not true data replicas of each
other.

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.