Andrew Sullivan ajs
Wed Dec 7 16:20:07 PST 2005
On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 07:09:15PM +1100, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> There is another problem, however. Slony is not handling databases encoded
> in different character sets. Say i wanted to upgrade my 8.0 system, which
> is encoded latin1, to an 8.1 system encoded in utf-8. This is not
> possible. You will see the same error as above. The thing is, PostgreSQL
> can do character conversion between different character sets and provides
> convenient mechanisms, like 'set client_encoding ...', to deal with this.

Well, I can see an argument either way for this.  One approach might
be to insist that the two ends be in the same encoding, because
that's what "replicate" means.  I'm sympathetic to the view, however,
that we need a knob to control this.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.
		--H.W. Fowler