Andreas Pflug pgadmin
Sun Dec 4 13:36:24 PST 2005
Is the algorithm to conduct a failover considered stable over versions
(subject to backward compatible improvements), or do we need a specific
slonik suitable for each cluster version?

For the next pgAdmin release, I'd like to have slony failover support
included. Failover is performed in a situation where probably bad things
already happened, and bad things seed hectic actions that may lead to
even more bad things. To support admins in keeping cool, I'd like to
provide them  a tool that checks the most critical issues.

I'm planning two tools: an upfront health checker, and the failover tool
itself.

The health checker will check if I have all information, i.e. connect
strings for the admin's workstation at hand, in case I'll need them.
Could be quite a nightmare if you accidentially mix up your test server
with a live replication node...

The second tool will do essentially what slonik failover does. Most
other slonik functions are reimplemented in pgAdmin itself, and for
failover I'm wondering if that's viable too or not. Thus the question above.

I'd prefer to implement the failover algorithm in pgAdmin itself, but if
necessary I'd assemble parameters for slonik and call it.

Regards,
Andreas