Magnus Hagander mha
Mon Aug 29 08:46:09 PDT 2005
> Hello list,
>
> I have been using slony-1.0.5 for a simple one master one
> slave replication setup quite stably for some time with
> postgresql-7.4.7 on both sides.
>
> A week ago, I move the database to another machine and made
> the necessary modification to slon configuration and the
> system runs smoothly for a while. However, when today I
> checked the master node, I find a bunch of slon processes
> instead of one, which is the number I usually find.
>
> Is it normal for slon to start more than one processes for
> this setting?
> I don't think so, but what's the reason that suddenly so many
> processes come up? And more importantly, is my replication
> still running correctly now? Though sl_status indicates that
> there is no lag between the master and slave, I am still
> worring about the new phenomena.

Is this linux, or another OS where threads show up as processes in ps?
If so, there's your explanatino - they may not be processes at all, but
just threads in the process. Which is perfectly normal.
Not sure if it's even possible to see what's a thread and what's a
process in linux.

Apart from that, AFAIK slon will have 2 processes in 1.1, but I think it
should only be one in 1.0.

//Magnus