Tim Allen tim
Fri Aug 19 07:37:46 PDT 2005
Ujwal S. Setlur wrote:
> Can't you just do:
>
> emerge slony1
>
> ?
>
> I run gentoo, and that is what I did. Works just fine.
> I did have to unmask slony1 in
> /etc/portage/package.keywords.
>
> Ujwal

Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't quite work for me - this is
my development box, I need to have various versions of postgres
installed in various places, and can't rely on gentoo's package
management to manage that for me. I always compile postgres from source
and install it where I want.

I just had a look at the ebuild, however, and couldn't see it doing
anything special to compile it correctly, other than installing the
exact same tarball I'm working with, and applying a patch to remove some
of the docbook stuff.

Just as a test I tried hacking the ebuild so that it looks for postgres
in the right place, and curiously enough (or not...) it has the exact
same compilation problems I reported earlier.

However, the next thing I tried worked - I cleaned out my postgres
include directory. I've been installing postgres from source into the
same set of directories for about six years now, and have only just
cleaned it out and re-installed cleanly. I guess that at some point the
layout of include files has changed, and an old version of one of the
files was being included. Problem solved. Slony now compiles.

Tim

Tim Allen          tim at proximity.com.au
Proximity Pty Ltd  http://www.proximity.com.au/