Ujwal S. Setlur uvsetlur
Tue Aug 9 20:35:57 PDT 2005
Hello,

I would like to set up slony1 (1.1.0) to replicate an
existing database that has one large table (~30
million rows) and several other smaller tables.

I went throught the steps of setting up a fresh slave
and subscribing to the master. However, when I started
replication, access to tables (using select statemtns)
on the slave are locking up. I suspect it is due to
the large amount of data being transferred.

What is the best way to start replication of an
existing large database?

1. Currently all the tables are in one set. I can try
to move the large table into a different set, but I
don't want to lock the application out of inserting
new rows into the table on the master.

2. Can I take a snapshot of the master using pg_dump,
restore it on the slave and then start replication?

Thanks,

Ujwal