Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Tue Aug 9 15:45:52 PDT 2005
claudio wrote:

> I have 2 nodes, node 1 master, node 2 slave. Replication works fine
> (with postgresql 8.0.3, slony 1.1.0)
> Suppose node 1 is down.
> I want to promote node 2 to new master, so I follow the procedure :
> step 1 : failover, ok
> step 2 : drop node 1, ok
> step 3 : store node 1 (new slave), store path and store listen, ok
> step 4 : subscribe node 1 as receiver for the set, provider is node 2,
> ERROR : fe_sendauth : no password supplied
>
> has anyone the same problem ?
>
> -----
> my node configuration :
>
> first master :
> node 1 localhost 5432
> node 2 localhost 5500
>
> first slave :
> node 1 localhost 5500
> node 2 localhost 5432
>
> the 2 databases communicate via ssh tunneling (port 5500 to 5432).

Is it the slonik script that fails?  Or is it slon that fails?  That's
not clear here...

In any case, the "Best Practices" handling of passwords is to store them
in $HOME/.pgpass

Slony-I doesn't do anything at all special with the handling of
authentication; it uses libpq, and hence if you are having connection
problems, you should try using the same configuration to connect using
psql.  If psql asks for a password, that would be a hint that you need
to stuff a password into $HOME/.pgpass