Jan Wieck JanWieck
Wed Sep 22 12:02:45 PDT 2004
On 9/22/2004 12:39 AM, Ed L. wrote:
> On Tuesday September 21 2004 6:57, Jan Wieck wrote:
>> On 9/17/2004 2:01 PM, Ed L. wrote:
>> > A few questions on slon command-line argument semantics...
>> >
>> > % slon -h
>> > usage: slon [options] clustername conninfo
>> >     -g <num>              maximum SYNC group size (default 6)
>> >
>> > What are the units for the -g flag?  Transactions?  Rows?
>>
>> Number of SYNC events to cram together.
>
> So am I correct in assuming this is a way to batch SYNCs to the slave for
> efficiency sake?  A higher number means more SYNCs batched and thus
> possibly longer delay before SYNCing with slave but less communication
> overhead?  And a lower number ensures more timely SYNCs at the expense of
> increased master-slave traffic?

They are batched only if there are that many available and if they are
contiguous. Every other event type in between leads to a smaller batch.
And if there is only one SYNC available, even -g60 will apply just that
one. It is for "efficiency when the subscriber did fall behind". As soon
as it did catch up it will apply every single SYNC by itself.

Jan