cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info cbbrowne
Mon Oct 25 16:50:07 PDT 2004
> When I add a new node to a cluster, it looks like I need to add all of the
> paths and listens for this new node - slonik will copy over the existing
> definitions, but no paths exist for the new node.
>
> Would it be a reasonable enhancement for slonik to provide the capability
> of having these generated automatically? You don't always want this, of
> course, so it would require additional syntax in the store node command to
> indicate it.
>
> Maybe it isn't worth it for most people. In my situation I have a process
> that has to handle new nodes joining the cluster dynamically, and it's
> defined that the new node will need to be related to all others in the
> cluster, so having the paths and listens generated automatically by slonik
> would be helpful in my case.
>
> Now, I'm *pretty* sure that this capability isn't already there.... I seem
> to be averaging about one really bone-headed question per week to this
> list, and it's only Monday, so I'm nervous.... ;-/

You're right; the capability is not there now.

The only "automated" tool that generates "listener paths" (I don't know
what better to call them) is the "init_cluster.pl" tool in the altperl
directory.

If you run that, with the new configuration, it'll generate suitable SET
LISTEN statements for all the necessary paths.

What I'd like to do for 1.1 is for these "listen paths" to be generated
automatically and revised after one runs SUBSCRIBE SET.  The heuristic
would be:

 - Any time a node is added, "listen paths" can be added that point to the
origin for one of the sets.  That's good enough to get communications
going.

 - Any time SUBSCRIBE SET completes, for a node, drop all paths that
attach to it, and revise them to go through whereever that subscription
"comes from."

I'd be glad to see any appropriate bricks thrown at that idea so that if
there are any windows to be broken, they get covered over _before_ it gets
released :-).

But in terms of what you need for now, I'd suggest you look at
"init_cluster.pl" and see if the "set listen" statements THAT generates
are of assistance...