Andrew Sullivan ajs
Fri Oct 22 00:09:24 PDT 2004
On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 05:55:12PM -0400, Chris Browne wrote:
>  - As of 1.0.4, the slon replication engine refuses to work against
>    any database that does not have the stored procedures for the same
>    version loaded or where the shared object containing the C language
>    support functions and the log trigger does not match the version
>    number.  in a cluster must be upgraded at once.

As we saw on the list earlier this week, some people may regard this
as a bug.  It sure seems to have been adopted with very little
discussion on the list, and it strikes me as pretty odd that slony
presents itself as a low-cost upgrade path for PostgreSQL sites, and
then requires a total outage itself when upgrading.  At a reasonably
high traffic site, you have to take an outage to replace the log
trigger function.  Isn't there a slightly less draconian way of
implementing this?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland