Ed L. pgsql
Tue Oct 19 17:21:11 PDT 2004
First, I have to pay my compliments and thanks to Jan and company for slony.
I know it's early in its lifecycle, but having spent considerable time
working with a few other async replication solutions, I'm pretty happy so
far with the performance of slony.  So, thanks.

Now, I'd like to suggest consideration of DDL statement replication as an
*option* for slony.  I've read Jan's recent comments regarding his view of
DDL statement replication (he doesn't value it much), and I can appreciate
that it is undesirable for a variety of situations, and thus it would not
be good to force it on slony users.  In our case, however, we're interested
in identical backup read-only copies of the database on a warm/hot stand-by
server.  I would guess this is a very common need for asyncronous
replication, if not the most common.  As it is, without DDL statement
replication, we essentially have to reinitialize replication for any schema
changes.  In many cases, our DBs are 10-30 GB, so reinitializing
replication can be a bit of a chore and load on the networks.  DDL
statement replication would, in theory, allow us to run 24/7 without DBA
intervention for all our normal operations.  Again, I only suggest it as an
*option* that would be useful to folks like me.  Thanks for your
consideration.

Ed