David Sainty David.Sainty
Tue Oct 19 04:36:00 PDT 2004
As usual, I'm having trouble reproducing it now...  I've also
discovered the user error with using 7.4.2 (as a side effect of
re-working through to reproduce my results :) so I have that test
case working too.

I'm starting to have doubts now, it is just possible that the
original 7.4.5 failure was against a build without
--enable-thread-safety...

The original fault was definitely stuck, I even left it
"replicating" overnight to make sure, and the databases never
sync'd up.  But if it WAS built without --enable-thread-safety, I
imagine that would explain it?  Correct?

Is your expectation that 7.4.5 doesn't need to be patched for
--enable-thread-safety to work properly on Solaris?

Thanks,

Dave

On 10/18/2004 7:25 PM, David Sainty wrote:

> :) Yes, I am aware.  In both cases (7.4.2 and 7.4.5) I used
the
> --enable-thread-safety flag and built from scratch.

I'd like to see the output of the slon process from the
subscriber
(slave) started with -d2, from the beginning to the point where
you
think where it got stuck.

Jan

> You are aware that applying the patch to the PG sourcetree
alone
> isn't
> doing anything? You need to reconfigure with
> --enable-thread-safety,
> recompile (make clean all) and reinstall PostgreSQL actually
> cause
> those changes to take place in the libpq. The "reconfigure"
step
> is the
> one most likely to be skipped in this procedure.
>

> Jan
>

> On 10/18/2004 6:27 PM, David Sainty wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been attempting to trial Slony-I (1.0.2) as a possible
>> production DR replication solution, but I've had quite a bit
> of
>> difficulty getting stable results.
>>
>> Running against PostgreSQL 7.4.5, I got the
>> "slony-I-basic-mstr-slv.txt" to partly work, but it appeared
>> get stuck half-way and I didn't get all data replicated.
>>
>> Theorising that it may be a library threading issue (as
>> mentioned on http://slony.info/), I reverted to 7.4.2 and
> applied
>> the patch.  But I've also had difficulty there (though I
have
>> also deviated from the instructions, so that may be user
> error).
>>
>> Perhaps I'll start there.  I can't find any mention of
> whether
>> Slony-I works with 7.4.5 unpatched in the documentation, and
>> while some of the threadsafe-libpq-742.diff patch seems to
be
>> applied in 7.4.5 it doesn't look like all of it has been.
>>
>> (We need to make a decision soon on using Slony.  I have
>> eRServer working, but I get the feeling eRServer is not
really
>> living project, so I'd rather get good results with Slony!)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dave

# It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being
right. #
# Let's break this rule - forgive me.
      #