Jan Wieck JanWieck
Tue Oct 19 02:56:44 PDT 2004
On 10/18/2004 9:27 PM, j wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
>> Where do you find the file plpgsql.so and what are the permissions of
>> the file /usr/local/lib/postgresql/xxid.so ?
>
> slony at oso: [~] find / -name "plpgsql.so"
> /usr/local/lib/postgresql/plpgsql.so
> /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so
>
> slony at oso: [~] llh /usr/local/lib/postgresql/xxid.so
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  9.2K Oct 19 01:58
> /usr/local/lib/postgresql/xxid.so
>
> -j

Oh nice ...

so you have PostgreSQL installed in the usual RPM locations as well as
in the default source-tarball locations, which is the usual result of
unpacking the PostgreSQL source tarball, doing configure (without
options) and "make install" on a RedHat box that has PostgreSQL RPM's
installed. This probably applies to other distributions as well.

Unfortunately there are PostgreSQL RPM's (and probably other packages)
that install without the right dependencies that would actually allow to
configure a PG sourcetree with the same options "pg_config --configure"
is reporting, leaving you in a big doubt which options to omit and which
really require additional packages to install first.

I assume (but please double check) that the /usr/local/pgsql location
was the result of your source-reinstall attempt. Let's get first rid of
the results of that "make install" by removing all the directories under
/usr/local/pgsql that have been created by that install.

Next configure your PG source tree with the same options pg_config is
telling you. You don't actually need to execute "make install". If the
config options are right, the built sourcetree is all you need.

After that, run configure, "make clean all install" again in the Slony
source directory.

Do all that on all the nodes involved in your cluster. That should clean
up the problem.

To the Slony team:
Guy's, I guess we have to document in BOLD RED how to configure and
compile a PG source tree required for the Slony-I 1.0.x build on any of
these typical package-installed distro boxes. J is not the first user to
tap into this.

Jan