David Sainty David.Sainty
Tue Oct 19 00:25:52 PDT 2004
:) Yes, I am aware.  In both cases (7.4.2 and 7.4.5) I used the
--enable-thread-safety flag and built from scratch.

>>> Jan Wieck <JanWieck at Yahoo.com> 19/10/2004 12:21:12 >>>
You are aware that applying the patch to the PG sourcetree alone
isn't
doing anything? You need to reconfigure with
--enable-thread-safety,
recompile (make clean all) and reinstall PostgreSQL actually to
cause
those changes to take place in the libpq. The "reconfigure" step
is the
one most likely to be skipped in this procedure.

Jan

On 10/18/2004 6:27 PM, David Sainty wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been attempting to trial Slony-I (1.0.2) as a possible
> production DR replication solution, but I've had quite a bit
of
> difficulty getting stable results.
>
> Running against PostgreSQL 7.4.5, I got the
> "slony-I-basic-mstr-slv.txt" to partly work, but it appeared
> get stuck half-way and I didn't get all data replicated.
>
> Theorising that it may be a library threading issue (as
> mentioned on http://slony.info/), I reverted to 7.4.2 and
applied
> the patch.  But I've also had difficulty there (though I have
> also deviated from the instructions, so that may be user
error).

> Perhaps I'll start there.  I can't find any mention of
whether
> Slony-I works with 7.4.5 unpatched in the documentation, and
> while some of the threadsafe-libpq-742.diff patch seems to be
> applied in 7.4.5 it doesn't look like all of it has been.
>
> (We need to make a decision soon on using Slony.  I have
> eRServer working, but I get the feeling eRServer is not really
> living project, so I'd rather get good results with Slony!)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

# It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being
right. #
# Let's break this rule - forgive me.
      #