Brad Hilton bhilton
Tue Oct 5 01:31:18 PDT 2004
Hello,

I've spent the last few days learning slony and setting it up on some
test databases with good results.  However, when I set up replication on
my live database, the slon processes startup and appear to be preparing
to copy things over when I get:

"The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the
current transaction and exit, because another server process exited
abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory."

This happens continually until I uninstall the slony schema from my
database.

I'm not getting any helpful messages in my slon output or in my
postgresql log file, so I'm not sure what else to provide in terms of a
bug report.

Also, as a side-note, when the postgres child process dies and the
postmaster restarts, the slon processess connected to the master
database will not terminate with SIGTERM.  I have to kill them with
SIGKILL, which then leaves pg_catalog.pg_listener full of cruft,
blocking slon from starting again.  Perhaps a note in the docs would be
helpful related to a forced shutdown of the slon processes? (ie, how to
clean out crufty pg_listener rows)

I'm running this on two debian-sarge linux boxes, and the database has
been perfectly stable in all other ways, doing a sizable amount of traffic.

Any tips or ideas about how to debug this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad Hilton