Jan Wieck JanWieck
Wed Nov 17 23:07:10 PST 2004
On 11/17/2004 5:50 PM, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:

> On November 17, 2004 01:22 pm, Pallav Kalva wrote:
>> Darcy Buskermolen wrote:

>> >Ok I've done some tests, and beat some code around and have pretty much
>> >discoverd that there is no "nice" way to convert to name usage and have
>> > ALTER TABLE foo RENAME bar work and not break replication under some
>> > cases.
>>
>>     Under what replication cases does the ALTER TABLE foo RENAME bar
>> does not work ? I am new to slony and right now I am  testing out all
>> the scenarios, I tried to rename a table which is replicated and I could
>> rename the table with the EXECUTE script on master and slave without any
>> problems .  am I missing something? excuse me if this is totally
>> unrelated .
>
> It's totaly unrelated, this change is specificaly related to improvements I'm
> planning to make to slony to make it more pg_dump friendly.  Currently alter
> table foo rename bar works 100% as it should.   This message is more related
> to current hackers  asking what their preference would be related to
> extending the internal tables of slony.

I had discussed that matter with CBB a little. My current thoughts are
that Slony-schema changes should be handled by a store procedure, which
is (re)defined by the newly loaded slony1-funcs.sql and will be called
by slon during "update functions" and will receive the previous schema
version as an argument. That function then will execute all the version
to version specific SQL for that upgrade.

As said ... current thoughts ... feel free to grind them to dust.

Jan