Rod Taylor pg
Thu Nov 11 20:19:17 PST 2004
Slony 1.0.1 with most of the dots (for schemas) replaced with _'s.

I'm currently running slony with a maximum group size of 1 after a crash
and it's come across a rather large sync event which is still trying to
sync after 8 hours.

The data is mostly small tuples (150 bytes) with the occasional 4 to
10MB tuple mixed in (about 0.1%).

It seems that during the transfer of data from one system to the other
the slon process is slowly growing (730MB in size, 32MB resident) at
this time. Since I'm down to 300MB of swap free out of 4.8GB total
memory,  with PostgreSQL using around 3GB, I think I've found the source
of the crash -- out of memory.

Anyway, we're in the process of adding a bunch of new swap space so we
can finish this SYNC event through brute force, but it might be wise to
look for memory leaks or other sources of over-usage.

I seem to be a good source for obscure issues :)