Darcy Buskermolen darcy
Thu Jun 10 16:59:47 PDT 2004
Ivan,
	Thank you for your interest in Slony and we welcome your questions. I will
breifly address them here, and hopefully will have longer explantions
availabe once we have the FAQ's up and running.

On June 8, 2004 12:39 am, Ivan Danchev wrote:
> May be this questions are well documtated somewhere, but for regred I
> couldn't
> find any info conserning this in the official Slony 1 site :(
>
> So far ...
> following istrunctoin  I finally succeed to configure and start Slony I
> replication sytem - and is perfect ;) ;) works as expected........
>
> BUT !?!? what's next ??? ....
> I mean that sutiaction usualy is litle bit different
>
> 1 .I REALLY whant to know how my client application must communicate
> with this "cluster" ??? directly to master DB ? in this case if master
> crashes, my client application (J2EE web application for example) will lost
> it's DB connection. ?

Yes your client application communicates directly with the master (unless you
are processing read only activities, in which case you can connect to a
slave) .  Yes in the event that the master DB crashes your client app will
loose it's connection and any uncommitted transactions.

> 2.Who "decide" to "promote" some slave to master ??? - is this some other
> process that I have to run ? or I have to manage this logic in MY CLIENT
> APPLICATION ?

Promoting a database form slave to master does not and will not happen
automaticly.  At this time you have to do the promotion manually, or through
a script.  There is an example of the slonik commands to do this available
from http://www.black-lion.info/downloads/ctd.tar.gz This is not something
your client app does, but is the responsibility of your network managemnet
system.

> 3.To what datasource my client application should connect to ?

This is answered in point 1.

> 4.Who will take care after master DB fails, to switch Client
> Application
> connection to newly promoted to master slave.
Your client app is responsible to reconnect to the new master after permotion.

> Ivan Danchev
> Systems Developer
> BIANOR
> 5 Stratsin Str.
> 1407 Sofia, Bulgaria
> Mobile: (+359 898) 654 030
> Switchboard: (+359 2) 962 4564, (+359 2) 962 4574
> Fax: (+359 2) 962 4416
> mailto:ivan.danchev at bianor.com
> http://www.bianor.com

Darcy Buskermolen