David Parker dparker
Fri Jul 30 19:00:42 PDT 2004
Yeah, I've been thinking along those lines, but there's another factor
in the mix in that I actually have multiple "my_namespace.table_A"s
replicating to the same target (using "public" as the target namespace
was a bad example, actually).

The use-case is that I have servers A,B,C generating session data, and I
want this all replicated to a central location. So I was thinking that I
could replicate A:public.session to Central:a.session, B:public.session
to Central:b.session, etc, then use a view across those guys on Central
to do whatever Central-based applications need to do with the
conglomerated session data. Hence my question about being able to
swizzle the namespace.

I could maybe just to a rule thingy on Central:public.session to
partition the data into the appropriate namespace.session, assuming I
have some server identifier in the session record. Not sure yet that I
have such a field, however.

Anyway, we have several different levels of data propagation in our
system, all of it lumped under "replication", so I'm just trying to
figure out where slony fits in. For our basic replication requirements,
slony completely rocks. I would like to use it in as many scenarios as
possible, but also want to be careful to not go into contortions trying
to make it do something for which it was not intended.

More than you wanted to know about my problems, I'm sure! ;-)

Thanks.

- DAP