David Parker dparker
Wed Jul 28 22:21:57 PDT 2004
I gather from slonik_commands.html that it is not possible to add a
table to a set that has already been subscribed, and that "merge set" is
the work-around. Is this intended to be the standard, or is adding a
table to a subscribed set a possible future feature?

I understand that slony itself is not designed to manage failover.
Assuming that an application detects a failure on an "origin" node in a
cluster, I assume it is up to the application to find out to which node
it should fail (based on the sets it cares about, and what nodes were
subscribed), and then issue the slonik "failover" command. Is this the
correct understanding?

Assuming node A fails, and the app fails over to node B, does slony
provide any tools for re-initializing a new node A (assuming the
worst-case and it has to be re-built from scratch)? My first thought
would be to create a new node with pg_dump, then configure it for
replication and subscribe it, but I don't see exactly how it would be
brought into sync with updates that happen between the pg_dump/load and
the new subscription.

I'd be interested to hear how others are handing this kind of
failover/failback situation.

Thanks.

-  DAP