Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Wed Jul 28 15:28:51 PDT 2004
Andrew Sullivan <ajs at crankycanuck.ca> writes:
> One thing that I heard today at OSCON, which was _extremely_ good,
> was Greg Sabino Mullane's talk on making developers and DBAs play
> nicely.  In there, he has a nice set of rules about documenting the
> internal functions and such that one adds to a database.  I think
> Slony might benefit from this strategy, so in the next week or two,
> I'll try to prise out enough time to make a serious proposal.  Greg's
> presentation slides aren't up yet, but he said they'd be available at
> www.gtsm.com eventually.

Drew and I (there are _way_ too many Andrews around for confusion's
sake; the one in question is the "Hammond") were talking about this
the other day from the "functions/API" perspective.

What would be really slick would be to have a tool that looks at the
functions in pg_proc, and generates a DocBook document that lists all
of the functions, their arguments (at least at the type level), and
the comment attached to each.

My first thought was to take the document as "draft," and add details
to it, but that has the problem that if you add  functions and have to
regenerate the document, there's a "merge" problem.

Thus, the ideal next step is not to modify the document, but rather to
make the function comments into _proper_ documentation.  I rather hope
that's consistent with your thoughts...

By the way, this would be useful not just for Slony-I, but for
projects both public and private.

I think I need to look at finding Round Tuits for this...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ca.afilias.info")
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>