Jan Wieck JanWieck
Sun Jul 25 17:00:41 PDT 2004
On 7/23/2004 5:01 PM, David Parker wrote:
> Sheesh....just need to get my eyes uncrossed....
>
> Well, that's good to know.
>
> Nobody has commented on the feasability/desirability of adding a
> partitioning capability to the replication as in my original
> question....

I do think that it has value. However, using "replication" to do in fact
data transformation onto remote systems isn't what Slony was designed
for in the first place. For now you only talk about splitting up the
data into different tables, key based. But think it to the end, there
you will want to merge this other tables fields when key based
replicating to node 4, but munging those columns with some regular
expression when replicating to node 6.

And it all leads to something Slony wasn't meant to do. With all this
partial and segmented replicas you do not do failover, switchover or
failback.

Jan