Victoria Parsons Victoria.parsons
Thu Jul 22 16:31:05 PDT 2004
Hi there,

I have spent most of the day trying to get slony up and running. I
configured and installed it with no problems, but I need some help setting
up a replicating system.

I have tried creating a replicating database by following the format of the
"replicating your first database" example in the supplied documentation.
This got me as far as having a copy of the master database tables with no
entries in. I ran a script like the example's to create a set and store
nodes and paths.
I then ran the command
slon T1 dbname=usersdb user=postgres host=localhost    ..(redirect output)
This seemed to produce promising results in the corresponding
slon-usersdb.out file:

CONFIG main: local node id = 2
CONFIG main: loading current cluster configuration
CONFIG storeNode: no_id=1 no_comment='Node 1'
CONFIG storePath: pa_server=1 pa_client=2
pa_conninfo="dbname=usersdb host=localhost port=5432
user=postgres password=postgres" pa_connretry=10
CONFIG storeListen: li_origin=1 li_receiver=2
li_provider=1
CONFIG storeSet: set_id=1 set_origin=1
set_comment='usersdb tables'

However when I then did the same for my slave database I got these warnings
and errors:

WARN   remoteWorker_wakeup: node 1 - no worker thread
CONFIG storeSubscribe: suINFO   remoteListenThread_2:
disconnecting from 'dbname=copy host=localhost
port=5432 user=postgres password=postgres'
 sub_set=1
WARN   remoteWorker_wakeup: node 1 - no worker thread
CONFIG main: configuration complete - starting threads
CONFIG enableNode: no_id=1
ERROR  remoteWorkerThread_1: "declare LOG cursor for
select     log_origin, log_xid, log_tableid,
log_actionseq, log_cmdtype, log_cmddata from
"_T1".sl_log_1 where log_origin = 1 and (  order by
log_actionseq; " PGRES_FATAL_ERROR ERROR:  syntax
error at or near "order" at character 161
ERROR  remoteWorkerThread_1: "close LOG; "
PGRES_FATAL_ERROR ERROR:  current transaction is
aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction
block
ERROR  remoteWorkerThread_1: helper 1 finished with
error
ERROR  remoteWorkerThread_1: SYNC aborted

After this I tried using the slony_setup.pl script. This confused my a bit
because although I was prompted for which database I wanted to replicate I
wasn't prompted for a slave database name. Is this because it is expected
the the slave would be named the same but on a different computer? I tried
running the created slony_master_setup.sh script anyway and got
"ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "pg_shadow_usename_index".

Which is the best way to set-up a test database and can anybody help me make
it work.

Thanks for your help,
Vicki Parsons

This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.
Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy by an authorised signatory.

Detica Limited is registered in England under No: 1337451 and Detica (Rubus) Limited under No: 03361831.

Registered offices: Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YP, England.