Andrew Sullivan ajs
Wed Jul 21 20:43:10 PDT 2004
On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 01:18:46PM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> > FreeBSD 5 has no perl in the stock install.
>
> It's in ports.  This is a non-issue.

I'm sorry, but I really have to disagree very strongly.  I can think
of plenty of use cases where increasing the dependencies like this
can cause major pain to users.  I happen to be one of those users,
because I don't have root on my database servers, which means that I
don't make policy there.

I have no objection whatever to adding some sort of
tools_super_package or something.  But adding requirement on
requirement just raises barriers to entry for people.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
		--J.D. Baldwin