Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Mon Jul 19 04:03:26 PDT 2004
Guthrie, Jeremy said:
> Are you running with fsync turned on?

Frankly, that's the _last_ thing I'd want to imagine was an important issue.

On a production database, the sort that is important enough to want to
replicate, I can't conceive why one would imagine turning fsync off to be
an idea worth considering.

If fsyncs are way too expensive, then the Right Answer is likely to buy a
disk controller with battery backed cache that essentially makes fsyncs
become free.

It is unlikely that the Right Answer involves saying "Oh, since I am
running replication, I'll be perfectly happy with any kind of system
interruption utterly corrupting the databases," which is the risk that you
have to accept if you turn fsync off.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.sailifa@" "enworbbc"))
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.info/>