Erik G. Burrows erik
Sat Jul 17 17:17:38 PDT 2004
> >> What is the size of your database, the size of your shared buffer
> >> configuration, the work_mem settings and what is the read/write ratio of
> >> your applications database access pattern? What is the average, min and
> >> max row size of the replicated data?
> >
> > DB size is about 3GB. System RAM is 2GB. Shared buffers are at 16384
> > (130MB). Read/write ratio is probably over 99% read oriented. Row sizes
> > are fairly average. No huge strings, and column counts are sane, 5-20
> > columns per table, about 60 tables.
>
> Under all those conditions you listed, I would shoot for the FSM. Adjust
> max_fsm_pages to 250000 (yes, that's a quarter million), restart the
> postmaster and do a "vacuum full analyze" on the whole database. Then
> arrange for frequent vacuuming with pg_autovacuum or your own schedule.

After turning up max_fsm_pages to 250,000, and max_fsm_relations to
12,500 (to maintain the 20:1 ratio in the default configuration), and
did a vacuum full analyze, server load went up (cpu idle time down,
context switches/sec up), but gradually reduced to the levels before I
started having these troubles.

In fact it worked so well, I had to check to make sure Slony-I was still
running! It is, and the fetch statement durations are down to < 1ms
times.

So, that helped enormously. Would you mind explaining why?

I can't seem to find a good explanation of the function the free space
map serves, other than a message from Tom Lane regarding some
enhancements to it, which gives some hints.

Was it just Slony-I's high-turnover log tables which triggered this
problem?

Thanks,
  -Erik
--