Erik G. Burrows erik
Sat Jul 17 01:38:48 PDT 2004
I'm using PostgreSQL 7.4.3 and Slony-I 1.0.1 with Intel P4 and Xeon
machines.

I have a two-server replication setup, one database, one set, working
very well, but I have some questions about performance.

I'm not sure how to get some number like updates per second from
Slony-I, so to give you an idea of the activity of my system, I turned
on statement logging on the (otherwise idle) slave server. It's doing
about 600 statements/min.

My slon configuration is very standard, I haven't changed the 10 second
sync interval time, or any other option.

Since turning on replication, the CPU utilization of my master database
server has tripled, and doing some analysis on the log file (with
statement and duration logging turned on) I can see it's the "fetch 100
from LOG;" statements from Slony-I that are causing the increased load.
Each fetch takes 5 seconds to complete. At 10 second intervals, that's a
lot of cycles.

Doing frequent vacuum/vacuum full/analyze of the Slony-I tables has
little effect.

So, my question is: What can I do to reduce load on my master server
from Slony-I?

Thanks,
  Erik G. Burrows

--