Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Wed Dec 15 03:08:23 PST 2004
James Black wrote:

> Hello, all,
>
> Thanks for the help last week; I tracked the problem that I was having
> merging sets to a) user error, and b) misconfigured slon daemons.
> Adding and merging now works great, but it raises a question about set
> ordering.  I was under the impression that ordering the tables in the
> set was important, and a misordering would have dreadful
> consequences.  Is this the case?  And if so, when adding tables that
> have dependencies on tables already in the set, do we need to reorder
> the tables?  Is a reordering even possible?
>
> Or should I not worry so much?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> jfb

In theory, it might be of some kind of significance in the handling of
foreign key constraints, but those are deactivated on subscriber nodes
anyways, so it doesn't matter what order the values come in (at least
not as far as a table ordering is concerned).

If someone can point out a simple example of a "dreadful" consequence,
that would be well worth hearing about.

As for being able to reorder them, no, there's not much of an option of
that...

We're hoping for 1.1 to support naming _nodes_, so that you can largely
ignore the node numbers, and give mnemonic identifiers; that points
towards numeric identifiers getting less important in and of
themselves.  Not that that directly addresses table numbers...